Friday, December 3, 2010

Wine & Youths Today

Wines, arranged as though in a teenager's bedroom


I am the wine buyer for Park Kitchen, and I am also 25 years old. These two things are, for the most part, not related. However, when you do the math and realize that I have only been able to drink (legally) for 4 years, maybe they become a little bit more related.

The world of wine is a world I don't always feel like I fit into. I don't have a big interest in vine clones. I can't tell you what Burgundy vintages were like in the 70's, 80's or 90's. I don't own any wine charms (but am certain that they are in my future), and my licence plate does not declare that "life is a Merlot". When I first stared buying wine earlier this year, I looked for these kinds of differences as indications of my inadequacy. I felt like I was just too young to be taken seriously in the field.

But. Weeks went by, and I didn't give up. My co-pilot Nic sat by my side during tastings, making jokes and forcing wine vendors to laugh with us (not at us. OK, at us). Eventually I realized that there are lots of people in the wine business who are down to earth, lively, and ready to make fun of anything. In other words, my people. Wine doesn't have to be an elitist hobby, it doesn't have to be expensive, and it doesn't have to be intimidating. Wine is a delicious agricultural product. It goes great with food. It is nothing to be afraid of.

Our wine list reflects the fresh palettes and attitudes that we possess. The list was originally created by people with more experience and superior knowledge of wine, and now it is being adapted by giant geeks who can't stop buying unheard of varietals. We are excited about wine, and for this reason the list is getting stronger every week.

Don't be afraid to ask your server who still has braces what their favorite wine is on the list. They might surprise you.

Love,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment